Pages

Advertisement

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

So Close, Yet So Far...

Today I once again tried to get my wireless card working in Fedora 7. Still no success, but I believe that I am very near to a solution.
The Linux drivers I was using for the card just weren't working... so why not try the Windows drivers? Using ndiswrapper, I successfully installed the Windows drivers for my wireless card which I got of the driver CD. This was actually extremely simple. After installing ndiswrapper, I found the necessary .inf and .sys files on the Windows driver CD required for installation. To get the driver installed I merely issued the following command in the directory of the .inf and .sys files:

# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i rt2500.inf
After that I ran

#/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
Just to make sure that the driver was loaded. After this I opened up the /etc/modprobe.conf file and added the new line:

alias ra0 ndiswrapper
I then proceeded with configuring the card through the Network configuration tool. The card was properly recognized as ra0. After configuring the card, I hit activate and crossed my fingers...
Well, it failed. BUT, it didn't give me the error this time saying that the card wasn't present. It just wasn't able to retrieve any ip information.
I am really hoping that this has brought me closer to solving my problem (which I think it has), but it has also brought me to a sort of road block. It seems as though I have everything configured properly, and apparently the card is detected and it is configurable. So what is missing? What is going wrong? Here are some screenshots of my current situation:




If anybody has any help to offer, I would appreciate it :-) See my thread @ the Fedora Forums.

No comments:

Post a Comment