Pages

Advertisement

Saturday, July 7, 2007

VSTS Database Professional using Remote SQL Server

My local SQL Server 2005 installation was damaged and I needed to be able to continue work on a project that makes use of the Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Database Professionals (VSTS DB Pro). The problem is that VSTS DB Pro requires a local SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition instance and above for it to work. So how does one make use of a remote SQL Server instance?

Perhaps there's another way to make it work with a remote SQL Server instance, but it appears that the current version of VSTS DB Pro does not natively support such configuration.

Luckily I found a MSDN Forum Post where Thomas Waldron suggests the use of a tool called TcpTrace to redirect the local 1433 port to that of a remote SQL Server instance. It works like a charm! I can now load my database projects.

---

No comments:

Post a Comment